After it's debut season in 2017, the UK Racketlon Super Series has gone from strength to strength and returns in 2019, whilst our previous champions in all categories can be viewed here.
For 2019 we are returning to the four events that featured in the 2018 Super Series: Nottingham, London, Keele and Manchester, focussing on popular events at centres with excellent facilities. The four events in 2019 are:
1. East Midlands Open – Sunday 27th January - (Nottingham Trent University)
2. British Championships – Sat 13th & Sun 14th April – (The Parklangley Club, London)
3. Staffordshire Open – TBC – (Keele University)
4. Manchester Open – Sunday 28th July – (The Northern Club, Manchester)
The four tournaments have been strategically chosen to be accessible to the vast majority of the UK Racketlon Community, at venues with high class facilities and the capacity to host at least 60 players per event. For 2019, the Super Series is focussing on three established Racketlon venues, from the (unique grass court tennis potential) of the Northern in Manchester, to the Racketlon hub city of Nottingham and Keele University. After hosting a brilliant event last year, the fabulous Parklangley Club, once again hosts the British Championships in 2019.
The prizes at stake are the five ‘Super Series’ titles up for grabs, providing players of all standards the chance for glory:
- Men’s Super Series - Points accumulated from Men’s open category events (Grades A, B, C, D & E)
- Women’s Super Series - Points accumulated from Women’s open category events (Grades A & B)
- Masters Super Series - Points accumulated from Men’s Vets category events (Grades 45+ and above)
- Futures Super Series - Points accumulated from Junior category events (Grades U16s and below)
- Men’s Challenger Super Series* - Points accumulated from all Men’s open category events (Grades A, B, C, D & E)
*Only players ranked outside the UK Top 30 on 1st January 2018 are eligible for Men’s Challenger title
We turned to the man behind this plan, Jack Bishop, to find out why he thinks the Super Series is a crucial development for UK Racketlon.
“My vision is to showcase the depth and quality our sport has to offer, to inspire the next wave of Rackletlon players but also reward loyalty to our current crop. With the advent of the Super Series brand, I am extremely excited, rewarding regular players, encouraging new ones but also showcasing the pinnacle of our sport on a more regular basis beyond just at the British Champs and English Open. The goal is to strive towards an offering which will encourage investment and recognition in our sport, which will enable us to grow.”
Written by James Pope